Friday, July 18, 2008

Dad's Typewriters

When we moved I had to get rid of Dad's old typewriters. I told my sister, Darlene, it was hard to part with them because they represented hours of thought and labor as he wrote over four thousand sermons for two radio preachers, and also wrote the Sunday School lesson books for Back to the Old Paths for thirty some years. They were a part of Dad I didn't want to give up. Dar gave me wise advise. She said, "You have to get rid of things sometime. If you feel emotionally attached to the typewriters, take a picture of them."

So that's what I did!!! I will always remember the sound of Dad pecking out the many sermons and articles on these two typewriters. But Mark will never have to move them again!! (He was happy about that as the old IBM was terribly heavy!) Thanks, Dar, for helping me through this dilemma!

6 comments:

Mar said...

Now that is a GOOD way to hold special memories close. I am inspired to go to my clutter closet and take a picture of it and then get out the giant garbage bags and start tossing. I have things I just cant seem to part with from my dear parents, from my dear children and from my dear grandchildren. I just dont have room to keep it all in an orderly fashion. So, Dorothy, you have inspired me to action.

I'm tickled pink that you are my new neighbor! You absolutely MUST call when you could use some company. If you dont call, I shall just appear and insist you sit down and have a cup of tea with me. How's that?

Mar

Mark Klass said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dorothy Bowen Klass said...

That sounds marvelous!!!! In spite of boxes everywhere I DO happen to know where my teacups are.....and you are welcome anytime!!!

Plant Lady said...

Dorothy,
I'm glad you took pictures of the typewriters. I would have never thought of that!

Hope you and Pastor Mark are getting settled in. Let us know your new address when you get a chance.

Love,
Plant Lady and the Mr.

Anonymous said...

Dear Dot,

I never thought a picture of two typewriters could bring tears to my eyes, but here I am crying. How well I remember the closed door to Dad's room and the sound of those typewriter keys; I would stand and keep hoping he would get finished so it would be time to sit down and talk! :-)

And to think that God used typewriters.......heavy pieces of metal to be the instruments that transferred Dad's thoughts to paper so that our family could be provided for. God is TOTALLY amazing!!

You did a superb job of capturing the worth of those typewriters in a picture!

I love you,
Dar

Pastor Dan said...

Hi Dot:
Love your blog! What an encouragement!!
I've really missed seeing you and Mark the past few days. (I spent most of last week with my mother, but was back for Sunday; had a great day of victory!)
The "typewriters" really "got me!" What fathers we had!!
I love you and Mark so much, and am SO thankful for your friendship!
Warmly,
Dan