Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunday Sermon

All I have is a few scribbled notes,
but the sermon (heard several years ago) made such an impact I still remember it.

A "Mary" Church or a "Martha" Church?
Martha was busy.
Mary was concerned only that she be in the presence of Jesus.

A "Martha" Church
A "Martha" Church is built on ABC's: Attendance, Buildings, Cash. This is a consumer based church where people are the center. The more people who come the better the church is. (This church lives in the book of numbers.) :)

Characteristics:
1. Religious activities - Holiness by fatigue
2. Jesus is the mascot
3. Information Driven (deliver me from the Kinko spirit)
4. Pastor Fetch
5. Problematic Praying
6. Shifting Sheep (allusion of church growth)
7. Control Strongholds - certain people control the church

A "Mary" Church
A "Mary" Church is a Presence based church where God is the center. "We love people but God is here."

Characteristics:
1. Continuous worship Rev. 4:5
2. Jesus is revealed
3. God's presence will draw people
4. Pastor Levite
5. God Seekers - The Pastor's goal is to bring people into His presence
6. Presence Evangelism
7. Divine Strongholds: God doesn't just visit - He inhabits.

Is your church a "Martha" church or a "Mary" church?

"Don't do the work of the Lord - make Him the Lord of the work."
-Terry Tekyl

4 comments:

Plant Lady said...

Dorothy,
Glad to hear of your new blog! I am so excited because in March, I started one of my own.

It is called "Plant Lady's Ponderings." I am posting as "Plant Lady" because I don't want to reveal my real name just yet. You will probably recognize me when you read some of my stories and I'm sure you will recognize me by a picture I posted in the story called "Communion".

You may even recognize the handsome groom and your sweetheart in the photo also. If you do, please don't give me away! I have this game going that I am taking my time to reveal my identity. You'll notice in that photo, my face is covered by my veil!

I am so glad you have started a blog and I am going to add you to my favorites list.

I have some very nice friends that come to visit me on my blog - friends from the Rachel Olsen's Bible Study blog. She is responsible for getting me started in this wonderful world of blogging.

E-mail me if you want to talk privately. You have my e-mail already. You can also post here and I keep checking to see if you recognize me.

Hello to Pastor Mark,
Plant Lady

Dorothy Bowen Klass said...

Hi, Plant Lady,
Are you kidding? The moment I saw "Plant Lady" I knew it was you!!! I didn't even have to look at the photos!!

Thanks for visiting. Say hello to your hubby. Hope we can talk soon.
Dorothy

Anonymous said...

Dear Dot,

I love your blog, Dot. It's really encouraging! Thank you for taking the time to write!!

I sure do share the "daddy missing -you" feelings! And, yes, Dad always wanted to know what I thought of the Sunday School lesson for the week...........and had his pencil and paper handy so that he could jot down what I said. He acted like my thoughts on a scripture were something he had never thought of.........and something worth sharing! There are no words to describe how much I miss him!

And today with this house full of packed boxes that make walking through it a sort of obstacle course...........and my frequent words "Sorry, that's packed!" ...makes me remember the times of transition when God guided our family. I sure do need His guidance today, not just to make it through the house :-) but to know His plan for every moment . I feel like I need one of Dad's "God bless you, Dar" hugs.

Today I started a list of " I remember what God did when"............

I was 12 and dislocated my knee.........Dad carried me to the car......drove over icy roads to the hospital............and instead of a big doctor bill, God orchestrated a special friendship between that doctor and Dad. Do you remember that?

I had twin baby boys and God took one of them to Heaven. He gave us His presence in such a unique way, that we could not question that He was there and knew what He was doing.

Our hospital bill from the twin boys care was thousands of dollars........... we got a letter in the mail stating that our bill was "paid in full!.

Company was coming for supper and I had no bread..........no cell phone either! I prayed and God brought Aunt Rose to the door with freshly baked hot-cross buns. They were the best!!

So many memories of what "God did when............... ". My list is very long and I am adding to it often because God is still working miracles in my life ! I know He is in yours too! Keep me posted!

I love you, Dot.
Dar

Dorothy Bowen Klass said...

Dar,
You should start a blog!! What wonderful memories of the ways God provided for every need. I love your analogy of the obstacle course.....we need His guidance all the time!!!!
Thanks for taking time to share.
Love you,
Dot