Saturday, June 28, 2008

Missing Dad


Dear Dad,
I really miss you a lot. I know you are enjoying the beauties of heaven and the joy of being with Jesus and all your friends there. It must be unspeakably wonderful. But I think about you often and what a terrific Dad you were. You were so handsome, so gentle, so kind, so loving, so humble, so faithful, so caring.

I remember those great days when I moved back with you and Mom. Every morning when I walked into the living room you would be sitting in your recliner dressed in a long sleeved white shirt and dress pants, ready for the day. Your first words were always the same. "Morning, Darth, how ARE things?"

We would usually sit together and discuss the Sunday School lesson and you'd ask my opinion on a verse or two. When you jotted down my comments I felt so important. "That's a good thought," you'd say.

It's nothing new
these thoughts I have of you.

Since time began
grief has been a common thing
As people of all races
morn the loss of one who made them sing.

But still the hurt is there
like a dull unhappy ache inside
where no one can see.

And even though I know it won't be long
until we meet again,
I think of you and wonder...
Do you think of me?
dbk

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right. You had an amazing father! I was blessed to have know him as pastor & friend. When I am in NC and I see your mom I ache inside because of his absence there. He was such a gentle soul, but oh so wise! He was a rare species of the preacher variety - he knew when to stop, and said more in his 20 minutes sermons than most do in their 45+ minute lengthy dronings. You were a fortunate girl to call him dad.

Faith

Dorothy Bowen Klass said...

Thanks, Faith. I know you loved him a lot, too.
Dot