Friday, February 27, 2009

Ms. Carmel Is Waiting for Us

Ms. Carmel Gore passed away Friday, February 27, 2009. She was 95 years old and a dear friend of mine. Ms. Carmel was clear minded and lucid up to her last moments. When the ambulance came to her home to take her to the hospital she told Pastor Billy Roy, "I don't know if I'll be coming back here." (to her house) When he asked her if she was ready for heaven, she said, "I'm ready for Him if He's ready for me!!" What a great testimony and so typical of Ms. Carmel's succinct way of putting things!!! She clearly knew her surroundings and was aware of what was going on.

I want to relate an experience Ms. Carmel had just before she died because it speaks to me of the closeness of heaven and those who have gone before us. Let me first explain that Ann was Ms. Carmel's older sister and Ms. Carmel was very close to her. Ann passed away five years ago. Doris Ann Wilder, Ms. Carmel's daughter, related that the last time she took Ms. Carmel to visit Ann, Ann said to Ms. Carmel as they were leaving, "I'm going to be waiting for you at the Pearly Gates and I'll hold your hand!"

Now, five years later, Ms. Carmel, lying in the hospital bed, has not said anything for some time when she tries to speak. Her daughter, Doris Ann, is with her when she finally gets the words out. With a clear tone Ms. Carmel says, "I'm in Gloryland! And Ann is holding my hand! She said she would!"

Doris Ann says, "Mom, do you see your mom and dad?" Ms. Carmel says, "I do!" There is a pause and then Ms. Carmel says, "Tell all my family that I'm going to see them in Gloryland and tell everybody else that I want to see them in Gloryland!!!"

This took place Wednesday morning and those were the last words Ms. Carmel spoke. Friday around 2 a.m. Ms. Carmel was restless and seemed to be struggling for breath. Doris Ann put her arm around her and spoke into her ear, "Mom, you know I love you and my family loves you, but if you want to go on to Gloryland, you go ahead!" In three minutes Ms. Carmel was gone!!!! But we know where she is!! Heaven is much closer than we think!!!




5 comments:

lauralavon said...

Dorothy,
This brought tears to my eyes... happy ones! It wasn't long ago that we were experiencing exactly the same thing--heaven and earth very close--as Dad Ferguson passed on to be with Jesus and all those who have gone before. What a joyous occasion for those who are ready!

BiblesGuns&Lipstick said...

One of my early memories of ministry as a pastor's kid involved the passing of a 99 year old lady. She was so weak she couldn't move. My mom and I went to visit and began singing to her. Face shining, she sat right up in bed and begin to worship right along. I never got over that experience.

Plant Lady said...

Dorothy,
I'm glad I can say that I knew Mrs. Carmel and she was very dear to me also. I will always treasure those nickel tours she gave to me each time I walked up to her house for a visit. She always updated me on the progress of the miniture roses I gave her. I'm glad I shared them with her (they thrived under her watchful care). I am most fortunate to have known her!

Plant Lady

Mar said...

You know these precious saints leave us with wonderful memories and hope of glad reunions. I have become quite familiar with that expression "Gloryland" in the past few years with my gospel music infusion. I love to think of when the Lord calls me home just who will take my hand and lead me to Jesus. Maybe it will be Jesus who first greets me - GLORIOUS! And then my dear parents and relatives and friends, all the precious redeemed. Today is wonderful here on earth, even with its trials and struggles, but TOMORROW when we step away from this world, it will be just absolutely GLORIOUS! Yep, I think it will.

Mar said...

Waiting patiently for deeply inspirational post from dear neighbor............