Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Take THE NAME

In preparation for leading our district women in worship, I began meditating on the names of God. As I did a little research, I found many more names for God than I ever knew existed! And I found out what I already knew - my God is EVERYTHING I need.

Is my mind embattled with rushing unwanted thoughts over a particular situation or circumstance that I have NO power to change? my God is JEHOVAH SHALOM: the Lord my peace.

Do I need finances to pay this week's bills? my God is JEHOVAH JIRAH: the Lord who provides.

Does my spirit cry out for nourishment and intimacy? my God is EL HANNE'EMAN: the faithful God (to support and nourish) and EL SHADDAI (the all sufficient God). Aletha Hinthorn points out in her article "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and I quote, "The word SHADDAI is derived from the word invariably used in scripture for a woman's breast. As the mother is the all sufficient one to her baby, God is the satisfier of His people. SHADDAI suggests perfect supply and perfect comfort. It suggests exuberance, sufficiency, bountifulness, and perfect satisfaction all combined with irresistible power!!!"

Do I need wisdom to live life today? my God is EL DE'OT: the God of perfect knowledge.

There is nothing I need - physically, mentally, emotionally, financially or spiritually that He cannot supply!!! What a God!!! I challenge you to find any other god capable of meeting your personal needs with such overpowering abundance.

As I was pondering all this, I turned the radio on just in time to hear a hymn from yesteryear. The words seemed especially alive with meaning, "Take the name of Jesus with you, child of sorrow and of woe, It will joy and comfort give you, take it then where'er you go. Precious name, O how sweet, Hope of earth and Joy of Heaven." Jesus- One with and equal to God.

Later that day, as if Someone wanted to be sure I got the message, I heard SAME song AGAIN, "Take the Name of Jesus WITH YOU......". The words were so powerful, "Take the Name....TAKE THE NAME......WITH YOU."

My attitude and outlook are forever changed when I TAKE THE NAME!!!!

P.S. There are just a FEW of the names I discovered........for a faith building study look for yourself!!!

3 comments:

Mar said...

That is a wonderful challenge. It brings to mind a song that is a little more contemporary (comparatively speaking). I first heard "His Name is Life" sung by Janet Paschal and it moved me deeply. But the "yesteryear" hymns are special and that message of "taking the name" is quite profound. Thanks for sharing the challenge.

dar said...

You write with such conviction Dot. It is so true.......He is the living bread.....the total supply for all of our life's needs. I love your blog. It always speaks to me. I want to take THE NAME.......His living presence WITH me......... I want to be where He is.......always.

I love you, Dot,
Dar

robert said...

Thanks for your comments on the names of the Lord--and you're right, there are many, many names and titles for God in the Scriptures. It makes a worthwhile study to see what they mean and how they're used. The infinite nature and holy character of God is reveals in His names.

Thanks too for your reference to Lydia Baxter's great hymn, "Precious Name." Today is a very special day: the 200th anniversary of her birth. To learn more about her you can check out my blog for today at Wordwise Hymns.