Friday, December 26, 2008

ONE STEP AWAY!!!

A chill-to-the-bone wind was blowing and we were late. The invite simply said to be there at 4:00 p.m. for rehearsal, so I figured five or ten minutes wouldn't matter. "Everyone will probably be running a few minutes behind and we'll blend in with the crowd," I thought. We had only been to the church ONE time, YEARS ago.....it's the most prestigious, wealthy congregation in our small town. (i.e. They ONLY paid $10,000 for an orchestra to play along with this year's Christmas Cantata.) We didn't know ANYONE who attended this church, we just wanted to enjoy the opportunity to be part of a community choir and sing Christmas music .

When we pulled up to the parking lot it was FULL but there was NO ONE in sight. We were cold. We were irritated with each other for being late. And we felt a great sense of insecurity about the whole situation.


We found an open door leading into a hallway which we assumed led to the sanctuary. We saw NO ONE as we walked through the unfamiliar halls hoping for some direction. Going up a little flight of stairs we opened a door at the top and were immediately ushered into the most amazing scene.

The huge cathedral type sanctuary had spectacular stained glass windows which, just at that moment, were absolutely FLOODED with light from the setting sun. The orchestra (40 talented musicians) filled the front and the choir were all in their places on the platform. Every eye seemed to look our way as we stumbled from the dim, narrow, hallway into the warmth and joy of that moment. We were greeted with smiles, kind words, and handed a book of music.

As the orchestra began to play I felt as though I had been ushered into heaven!!! The sound was breathtakingly beautiful as voices and instruments blended in perfect harmony. It seemed surreal, the contrast was so great from the shivering cold, ill-feelings, and insecurity, to the warmth, beauty, and acceptance suddenly thrust upon us.

It was a MAGNIFICENT MOMENT bringing to mind the reality of the fact that I am ONE STEP AWAY from another MAGNIFICENT MOMENT!!! Some day I will step from the momentary, mortal ills of this life, to a scene of glory and radiance FAR beyond anything I can now comprehend!!


"...when what is decaying is clothed with what cannot decay, and what is dying is clothed with what cannot die, then the written word will be fulfilled: "Death has been swallowed up by victory!"

What a magnificent moment THAT will be!!!

5 comments:

lauralavon said...

Beautifully written, Dorothy! What precious truth.

Plant Lady said...

Dorothy,

We hope your Christmas was merry and bright.

Mr. Plant Lady and I keep you in our prayers. I know the insecurity these trying times bring, but I must admit, it brought me closer to our Lord and Saviour.

I have come to realize that God seems to allow trying times to come in a call to depend fully on Him. You once gave me a small card with a handwritten scripture on it that brought me through rough times when all seemed hopeless in the search for employment. This word from God's Word sustained me through the 18 months with little and sometimes no income. As I focused on those words, odd jobs came to us here and there and all were obviously sent from God as if to say, "I'll take care of you, Trust Me".

I guess I'm trying to say, "Don't take your eyes off Him".

You and Pastor Mark are in our prayers

Plant Lady and the Mr.

Anonymous said...

Dear Dot,

I love the way you brought out the contrast of the struggles of this life........earth's little while...... and the magnificant beauty and welcome that will EMBRACE US when we get to Heaven! What a day that will be! I know I shall see HIM, shall look on HIS face, for HE is so precious to me!

How thrilling that God gave you this experience...this fortaste of what it will be like to enter Heaven's joys! It makes it easier to go through the small stuff of today's struggles!

I love you, Dot, love the way your writing beautifully and adequately expresses the life messages God brings you through! Wish I could have seen your face when you sang in that choir! I am sure it radiated Heaven's glow!

I love you and miss you!
dar

BiblesGuns&Lipstick said...

Just found your blog. Wonderful thoughts.

BiblesGuns&Lipstick said...

My pleasure! I suspect you may have been a teacher of mine once upon a time. Any chance of that? I was a mindless, goofy, college kid without a serious thought in my head. I was all about fun and pranks. Somehow, God got His hand on my life. I was a teacher for 9 years and now a pastor's wife. Now nothing thrills me like leading someone to Christ.