Monday, November 3, 2008

The Greatest Mystery

This past Saturday around noon, Mark and I make a spur-of-the moment decision to drive up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. We thought we'd stop at some roadside farmer's markets and maybe drive up Pilot Mountain. There were still some beautiful leaves and the day was perfectly lovely.

This is a view of Pilot Mountain from the Parkway.
We had driven the parkway, had a bite to eat in Mt. Airy, and were heading back home about 6 p.m. when we decided to drive to the top of Pilot Mountain. The park closed at 6 but we asked a park ranger if we had time to go to the top and he said, "Sure, go ahead." This is a view from the top.


The sun was setting and the scene was one of breathtaking beauty. To our surprise we were not alone on top of the mountain. There were probably thirty people, kids, and dogs in tow. We noticed one whole section of the parking lot was blocked off and people were setting up huge telescopes. To our amazement, the Forsyth County Astronomy Club was having a gathering!!!!


I wish I could express the beauty of the sky as day faded into dusk and dusk faded into darkness. The moon, Jupiter, and Venus were shining brightly and one star after another began popping out until the sky was full. This picture doesn't get it but gives you a faint idea of how magical it seemed. People walked from telescope to telescope looking at various planets and stars. When I looked through the telescope at the moon it looked like a huge dinner plate. I could see the lighted part, the craters, and even the shadow the sun made on the craters. I could see the four moons of Jupiter. It was awesome!!!!!!


Above us the milky way spilled out and there seemed to be an endless sky far from the city lights. The scripture came to my mind, "When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars which You have ordained, what is man that You are mindful of him, and the son of man that You visit him?"

We know the answer, it's just mind boggling to really believe it. How and why would He care for me so intimately? He MADE all this with a spoken word and He LOVES ME?? Wow!!! What an unforgettable experience.

God, help me never to doubt Your amazing power to take care of me in my little world.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

A beautiful post and pictures, Dorothy. I'm glad you two had such a wonderful time. You were up near my way.

lauralavon said...

What beauty! Thanks so much for sharing some of the wonders of HIS creation!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Dot, for sharing the majesty of those pictures!! They are breathtaking!! You write so beautifully, Dot. I am in tears. God is so HERE with us.......so NEAR to us.........so SPEAKING to us through HIS work. I always want to look for HIM and listen to what HE is saying to me. And, yes, HE cares about us with meticulous attention to our tiniest woes. On Election Day that is very encouraging to know! ;o)

Thanks so much for sharing!

I love you, Dot.
Dar

Mar said...

What a lovely post today. I dont know who the professional photographer is in your family, but you captured the loveliest of scenes. We took a brief drive down 109 past Denton and the leaves were beautiful, but I imagine you saw the peak colors on your drive. Isn't it wonderful when God orders our steps and blesses us with views of His handiwork - just when we need it the most?

Question: Just WHEN are you going to put your songs at the bottom of this blog so we can hear your voice as we read your posts???????

Plant Lady said...

Dorothy,
I'm glad you and Mark took a day to go to the mountains. They are always beautiful and to have the opportunity to get up close and personal through a telescope with the moon and planets-too Awesome!!

I'm glad you had a great time. Mr. Plant Lady will see you and Mark today (Nov 5). If he doesn't say Hi from me, remind him when you see him.

Take care,
Plant Lady