Monday, September 1, 2008

A Visit to a Hindu Temple

For many years I had no personal understanding of worship. As a preacher's kid I was in church all my growing up years. As a traveling musician and then a peacher's wife I was in church any time the doors were open!!!

But when it came to worship, I was a spectator. As still as a statue, I did only what I was told to do. I was timid and shy always wondering what people thought of me. I was very uncomfortable lifting one hand, let alone both, to praise God and never showed any emotion.

All of that changed the day Mark and I visited a Hindu Temple with some Indian friends of ours. They are dear friends and we had gone to an Indian restaurant and then they asked if we would like to visit their temple.

As we entered the temple we passed through a small room where we saw a large pile of shoes. We were asked to leave our shoes there before entering the next room where the gods were. We did so, and then walked into a larger room which had thirteen plastic gods in a semi circle. I really don't remember much about the gods. What I DO remember and what changed my concept of worship forever, was the fervancy I saw as the worshippers BOWED TO THE FLOOR, placed money or flowers in the hands of the gods and prayed with eyes closed and HANDS LIFTED. The devotion and fervor I saw immediately put me to shame.

I thought, "If these people can worship PLASTIC gods, why can't I worship the TRUE and LIVING God with this kind of fervancy and give Him the PRAISE HE DESERVES? What is WRONG WITH ME??????"

What would these worshippers think if they walked into my church and saw me standing, singing the hymn with no expression, no conviction, no real indication that I thought much of MY God at all? How would they ever begin to understand the great awesome power, the perfect wisdom, the unbelievable love of the LIVING GOD if they don't see passionate worship from me?

My worship has changed forever. I close my eyes, focus on God and attempt to give Him the PRAISE HE DESERVES. If a Hindu worshiper can bow to a god who doesn't see, doesn't hear, is nothing more than a piece of plastic, and can give the deepest passionate devotion I have ever seen, SURELY I CAN WORHIP THE TRUE LIVING GOD WITH ALL THAT IS IN ME!!!

AND I WILL DO SO no matter where I am or who is around me. I WILL WORSHIP!!!

Now I LOVE to WORSHIP my GOD!!! Nothing brings me more delight that lifting my hands and praising HIM!!!!!

If you, like me, have always been afraid to worhip, why don't you practice right now. (If you're afraid someone will see you, close the door!!!) Click on the links below, listen to the music, close your eyes, and lift your hands to heaven. PRAISE HIM for WHO HE IS and you will be BLESSED!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQRIHXtyRzU

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8181685299802812797&hl=en

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thought you might want to check out our blog and join the community. It's just getting started.

Subscribe to the blog and watch for more to come. Thanks!

www.ministerskid.com

debrah said...

Thank You! for an opportunity to praise our Lord and Savior...Isn't it amazing that when we worship our Lord - we walk away refreshed and renewed. Jesus just fills us with His Love. Great Post!

Anonymous said...

Oh, to be able to praise the Lord the way He deserves to be praised!

I loved the songs you shared and the testimony you gave of God's marvelous message to you through the Hindu temple worshipers.

I had a dream the other night. The rapture had taken place and Charley was winging his way to heaven. I could see his wings ahead of me. When the rest of us didn't go right away, I told the kids that we were next ( I supposed God was taking His bride in shifts!), so I told them to go outside with me and wait. The sky was pitch black except for a brilliant rainbow. I walked to a hillside to wait. The "grass" was thick rolling tufts of brownish gold in perfect rows. (I have never seen anything like it!) and a beautiful, clean, sleek cow was eating it. The cow had a collar and bell. (I wasn't afraid of the cow........I am normally petrified!!!) Anyway, as I started to step on the hillside to wait,my feet went out from under me........ the rainbow circled around me....... lifting me into the air!!!! My arms were raised to Heaven and tears were racing down my face. I was shouting, "This is the way I have always wanted to praise YOU, Lord,.......This is the way I have always wanted to praise YOU !!!"
Then I woke up!
I never have been able to praise the way my heart feels. God is marvelous above and beyond ALL of my expectations!!!!
Thank you for your encouragement to praise with my whole being! I purpose to do better! He certainly deserves my ALL !!!

I love you, Dot.
dar

Kathy Bottoms said...

thank you for posting such an intimate thing. I have been standing still.....

Anonymous said...

Hindus do not worship plastic gods. The murtis are simply representations of God. We do not worship the actual idols but what they represent. If you do not understand these things, then please do not try to mislead people. Especially since these same "plastic worshippers" helped you get closer to God.
Have a nice day!