Sunday, September 21, 2008

My Mum, An Inspiration for Life

Several years ago this piece won a contest in the Thomasville Times. Mum recently had a few bad days in the hospital and as she is approaching her 81st birthday I thought this would be a good time to share (for some who haven't heard) what she means to me.

My Mother had a bad start in life. Born to an unwed teen, there was no well-furnished nursery, no loving parents, no doting grandparents to welcome the tiny waif.

Even though she remembers little of those early years, Mother knows from the account of others that she was badly abused until at age two, an older couple became foster parents and eventually adopted her. Even then she didn't have a fun-filled childhood. Mostly she had a great deal of hard work--scrubbing, wallpapering, and carrying coal.

Maybe that's why she is such a super special Mom. She wanted her seven children to have the things she always dreamed of. She lavished on us the love she had been deprived of and taught us the lessons she had learned.

The first lesson was in kindness. "Be ye kind one to another, tender hearted, forgiving one another, even as God, for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." Ephesians 4:32. How often we heard those words. She would say the verse over and over until each of us could quote it by heart as soon as we could talk.

The second lesson was in priorities. If one of us children accidentally spilled or broke something she always said, "Don't worry about that. Just so YOU'RE all right!" Things have never been important to Mother; people always are.

And because people are so important to her, she consistently demonstrates generosity. Her motto has always been, "Give away as much as you can!" She has an inexhaustible supply of love which prompts her to do whatever she can to alleviate another's burden. She gives whatever she has--home baked goodies, money, things she buys and keeps in a "give-away" drawer, or time to listen. I have never known another living soul more generous.

My mother is the best mother in the world for me. If she had had the opportunity for formal education, I might never have learned true wisdom. If she had been a wealthy woman, I might never have learned happiness and contentment. If she had been an eloquent, sought after speaker, I might never have learned how to talk to God.

Even though Mother didn't have the most auspicious beginning, her life has certainly had a great impact on all who meet her. I am always proud to introduce this wonderful woman as "My Mother."

P.S. Mum has a great sense of humor as well. Sometime I'll have to share some of our funny experiences!!!!!






8 comments:

lauralavon said...

Dorothy,
That is so sweet. I really enjoyed reading about your mother. I look forward to the funny stories as well!
Laura

Anonymous said...

Dear Dot,

You wrote a very beautiful and totally accurate "picture" of Mom.

What amazes me the most is how all 7 of us children absolutely LOVE and LOOK FORWARD to spending time with her! We each have our "spot". You are her inspiration and creative cook, I am her "little work horse" as she calls me. I do some in-depth cleaning for her. Deb is her efficient and loving secretary; Mom is "Sweet Pea" to her. Donna is her cheerful warmth and grocery shopping friend. David is her constant care-giver, house keeper, yard care man, and friend. Diane is her laughing, but "persistent" :o)nurse.......filling pill boxes and making Dr. appointments and visits....getting her to the hospital when she needs to go! Dean is her maintenance man. He can fix anything...... All of the brother and sister in-laws are valuable to her, too. Valerie sends in a healthy meal every Saturday. Richie is a great encourager and trash-pick up person, Bob has provided a lot of winter fuel and Uncle Mark is always ready to give encouragement and a helping hand. And, of course, her grand and great grand-children are the joy of her heart. We are so blessed! I don't know of any other mom who hears from all 7 of her children every day. Sometimes it is just a short phone call, but we all "check in" and feel refreshed and blessed after talking to her a few minutes. With Mom "Every day is a good day!".

Cheers to MOM ! She is a true example of WHO is important in life.......everyone! And now everyone values her! As she says, "What goes around comes around!" It certainly has proven true for her!

I love you, Dot!
dar

Mar said...

Been praying for "Mom Bowen" for several days. I have enjoyed the undeserved privilege of calling her that for quite a few years. Is there a better prayer warrior on the face of the earth? I will always remember the love with which she extended me just after my own dear parents were killed in an automobile accident. She has a gift of taking wounded orphans under her wing. Kind of reflects Our Father's ways, doesn't it?

Darlene descibed so well how you Bowens have been blessed with family. Different gifts, different personalities - all nurtured at the knee of one humble, but mighty mother.

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear! I forgot to mention my wonderful friend and husband, Charley, on my tribute to Mother! He loves Mom and always joins the team with whatever the next project is......cleaning storm windows, restoring an old cabinet, or picking up and installing a washer and dryer. He and Mom enjoy a lot of good laughs together!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for your kind words, Marlene! You are an inspiration to all of us, too!!!

Love,
dar

Maxine said...

Oh my goodness, Dorothy, this is such a precious tribute! It brought tears to my eyes. I love that next to last paragraph in particular where you talk about what you would not have learned if she had had some of the things this world treasures so highly. You have been blessed, Dorothy.

Cathy said...

That is so sweet. You are blessed to have such a dear, sweet mother.

AlbertPujolsfan said...

Just wanted to say hey

See ya ,
Savannah

Anonymous said...

Hello, "Miss Bowen"!

I'm so very glad I ran across your blog! I've wondered where you were and how you were doing!

Do you remember Debbie Stalker, an old student of yours from UBC? That's me! I live in Syracuse, NY, am married to an awesome man, and have an eight year old boy name Kody.

I'll keep checking back in!