Friday, May 8, 2009

The Book

I wrote this piece awhile back and wanted to post it today as a Mother's Day tribute to my wonderful 81 year old mom, Dorothy Espey Bowen.

Cora Mae....my fingers trace the mysterious flaking letters that many years ago were embossed in bright, yellow gold on the small, worn Bible.

Cora Mae....my mother's birth name! The name represents a part of Mother's past that seems locked away forever. Little is known of her beginnings. There are few photos of the tiny, black-haired girl, her face reflecting a lost loneliness that brings pain to my heart.

Eventually adopted by an older couple so she could "take care of them", her life was filled with drudgery...scrubbing floors on her hands and knees, carrying heavy buckets of coal for the furnace, wall papering rooms with high ceilings, caring for her invalid "step-grandmother", sleeping alone in a cold, dirty, attic.

Cora Mae...I wonder how many times her hands held this Bible as silent tears fell on it's pages.

And now I proudly hold the same Book, wrapped in a beautiful white ribbon and bow, on my wedding day. Mother is beside me for just a few moments before the organ begins the Bridal March, and her eyes are filled with love, the love I have seen all the years of my life.

Love for me, the oldest of her seven children, love for her husband, my father, the minister she stood beside so faithfully for many years, and love for God, the One she came to know through the Book I now hold in my hands.

Mother will forever be my inspiration, and my role model. Possessing little, she has given much. Having few educational opportunities, she has shared her wisdom with many. Lacking eloquence, she speaks the language of kindness and empathy.

Cora Mae...I will treasure the Book and the love of the one who gave it - always.

3 comments:

lauralavon said...

What a precious and beautiful tribute, Dorothy! Thank you for sharing it.

Dar said...

I was praying this morning and thinking about your wonderful blog about Mother..........and I thought "God knew what page she was on". In the dismal lonely darkness of the attic where she held her Bible, prayed, and cried .....He was there.......He knew. God had plans for her then......(Jeremiah 29:11)......

The difference between her life and so many others is that she belonged to the Good Shepherd (John 10). He knew her name. She recognized His voice and followed Him........and because she did....she grew sweeter instead of bitter.....forgiving instead of holding on to pain........ She is such a beautiful example to us all because she followed Him. I am so thankful that I am privileged to be her daughter!

I was thinking that God knows what page we are on.........it is sometimes dark, hopeless, dismal, and looks "futureless", but if we will listen to the Good Shepherd, He will lead us as He promised.

I love you, Dot. You are so much like Mother. You are a joy and inspiration in my life.

Love,
Dar

Mar said...

Your tribute brings lump to my throat. What a lovely thing to be told that you are so much like your mother, Dorothy. That is quite the challenge, isn't it?