Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Problem of the Day

I'm sitting in a Special Ed class. All the children have learning disabilities of one sort or another. An eighth grader brings me a "Curious George" book and I listen as he stumbles through a couple of pages. A Downs Syndrome child smiles, shyly inviting me to help him with a learning puzzle.

The PROBLEM OF THE DAY is on the board. It simply says, "SOLVE. WHAT IS 25% of 448?" The students now pore over their calculators thinking hard. "What is 25% of......????" They hopefully lean over their notebooks writing their answers. To them THIS IS SO DIFFICULT.

If only THIS problem of the day was MY problem of the day because I know the answer to THIS one. I smile because it is SO easy. Without a calculator or pencil and paper I can tell you the answer.

The lead teacher makes an announcement. "I'm going to get a drink. WHEN I COME BACK, THE PROBLEM OF THE DAY IS OVER." She quickly leaves the room.

I think about MY problem of the day. I don't know the answer. To me it is very difficult. I imagine God smiling because to Him it is SO easy. He already knows the answer. Then I remember that He said He's coming back. And when He gets back MY PROBLEM OF THE DAY IS OVER!!

No comments: